RESOURCES: Christchurch Earthquake: How to offer your bach for a respite holiday
Our thoughts and hearts go out to all those affected by the Christchurch earthquake. If you want to offer up your bach for a free of charge, respite short-stay holiday, and publicise your offer through Bookabach here’s how...
Photo credit: Flickr - GeofTheRef
- Created: 28-Jul-2011
- Updated: 28-Jul-2011
Bookabach will publish a list of Christchurch Earthquake Respite Holidays properties and will promote this list both publicly - on the website, in our newsletters and on Facebook - and to organisations such as the Red Cross and Christchurch City Council. Accommodation must be offered Free of Charge (FOC). It is permitted to charge a small amount (koha) to cover running costs. People wishing to take up your offer will contact you by phone (not through the Bookabach website) and it is up to you to vet them for eligibility based on the specific criteria you have defined, e.g. lives in affected area, has red stickered property, must have referral from an agency etc.
Here’s how to set-up your Christchurch Earthquake offer
Contact Bookabach Support by email indicating that you wish to have your property added to the Christchurch Earthquake Respite Holiday list. Provide the following:
- Your Property ID.
- Any per night charge (koha) required to cover your operating expenses.
- The contact phone number your want listed.
- Any other specific terms related to you accepting a booking under this offer.
Vetting people under this offer
It is up to you to decide who stays and under what terms you will accept guests under your offer. We will included some generic terms and conditions in our Christchurch Earthquake Respite Holidays landing page. This will include the requirement that guests will be asked to substantiate “evidence of hardship”. WARNING: Please be cautious and be sure to vet people carefully!
Managing respite holiday bookings
Any requests for stays under this offer will come to you via direct phone call. We request that you add any bookings into Bookabach as External rental bookings in order to make it clear that the property is not available for rental during these days. Please DO NOT refer people to book online with Bookabach.
Program Terms and Conditions (Owners/Managers)
- The Canterbury Earthquake Respite Holiday program is a facility Bookabach has set-up for owners and property managers wishing to extend their generosity to those worst affected by the Canterbury Earthquake. It is not a channel for offering emergency relief accommodation or for marketing a property for rental.
- Any accommodation must be offered Free of Charge (FOC) or in return for reasonable expenses only (koha).
- All offers are defined by the owner/manager - not Bookabach. Specific criteria that qualifies someone for this offer is set by the owner/manager - not Bookabach.
- It is up to the owner/manager to substantiate claims of “evidence of hardship” for qualification under this offer.
- You agree to manually enter bookings into the Bookabach system as External Rental Bookings. No success fees will be charged on bookings provided they are entered as manual rental bookings.
- Bookabach will not arbitrate in any dispute related to these offers and eligibility for them.
- Owner/managers retain the right to withdraw their offer at any time.